Planning a funeral involves many decisions at a time when it's hard to think clearly. If your loved one or your family chose cremation, then you may be looking for an urn, but it's normal to find the purchasing process overwhelming.
But it doesn't need to be.
With just a few questions and considerations, you can find the perfect urn that you will treasure for years to come and honour your loved one in the process. We've put together a few questions to guide you through the purchasing experience.
How will you use the urn?
- Would you like to put it in a memorial garden or a special place in your home?
- Would family members want to share the ashes?
- Will you need to travel with the urn?
- Would you like to scatter the ashes in a special place or release them into the ocean?
If you would like to keep the urn outside or in a mausoleum, then choose a material that will protect the remains in all weathers. If it is inside, then you have more options available to you.
Keepsake urns are smaller and will allow the ashes to be shared so that several family members can keep a physical connection with your loved one.
If you are travelling with the urn, then airport security regulations will limit your choice of material, so it's a good idea to check with the airport before you make a selection.
Our biodegradable urns come in themed and classic styles that allow ashes to be scattered or set adrift into the sea with no damage to the environment.
How much would you like to spend and what style do you want?
Please don't feel obligated to purchase from the funeral home or crematorium. Choosing a funeral urn is profoundly personal and something you should take time with. We have a wide range of urns that suit all tastes and budgets, so you can find an urn that is precisely right for its purpose and you.
Here are some design considerations to think about:
- Are you honouring an adult or a child? You might want the design to reflect the person or their personality (classic and traditional or ornate and full of character).
- Would you like to keep the ashes with those of another person? A companion urn will hold the ashes of two individuals, which come in various styles to reflect their relationship.
- If the urn is going to be displayed in your home, you can think about whether you want something small or large. Many of our urns look like beautiful works of art in ceramic or cloisonné, or there are exquisite tea light urns that are the perfect way to commemorate your loved one.
If you can narrow down how the urn will be used, choosing one will be a much simpler process. We've organized our urns into collections to make it simple for you to find the perfect urn to commemorate your loved one.
And remember, Eirene is focused on making choosing an urn simple, affordable and convenient at such a difficult time for families. We're here to guide you every step of the way.